Tuesday 18 December 2012

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?


Today (18 December 2012), I successfully skydived from a helicopter at 14,000 feet and lived to tell the tale…

For those of you who didn’t know, Nicola had bought me for my birthday a skydiving voucher for when we were in Australia and after a few days of trying to sort out a date after a confusion between our travel agent and the skydive company, we managed to set 18 December as the fateful day. We set our alarm to 05:00 and made our way to Central where we were due to be picked up. The drive to Gosford (where the airstrip was) took around an hour and a half and we were treated to a lovely drive North of Sydney which included driving across the Sydney Harbour Bridge – a nice treat.

After we arrived I discovered that the skydive would be 14,000 feet instead of 9,000 feet and out of a helicopter instead of a plane; although I’m not sure how much difference it makes as you’ll be just as dead falling 9,000 feet out of a plane as 14,000 feet from a helicopter if your ‘chute doesn’t open. We had a quick safety lesson and a run through of the do’s and don’ts – which involved why you shouldn’t hang your feet between the helicopter foot rests as you hang outside the ‘chopper (you may find yourself legless) – but we had to wait around an hour longer than expected due to poor weather conditions (too cloudy) before we could actually start off.



Whilst we were waiting we actually saw a red bellied black snake (a very venomous snake) in a storm ditch near to where we were sitting – our first snake siting out in the wild in Australia!

It was three jumpers per trip (seven in total including pilot and the tandems) and I found myself sitting on the side of the chopper with my feet resting outside, in my head reminiscent of a scene from Platoon but in reality probably less cool than that. It was quite a ride up to altitude as the helicopter had no door so I was exposed to the wind and had a fantastic view of the area which progressively shrunk beneath us. I was second in order to jump so had the pleasure of watching the lady in front of me plummet through the clouds and out of sight. I was surprised at how calm I felt, I thought I would be scared or nervous but I wasn’t. I was quite excited, I think it was the adrenaline kicking in. As it was my turn to jump next I dropped myself onto the edge of the chopper and as my tandem jumper took his position I felt myself dangling outside the helicopter supported only by my harness attaching me to my tandem. It was quite an exhilarating feeling, I was hanging outside of a helicopter 14,000 feet in the air looking down through the clouds and at the curvature of the Earth in front of me.




 











Then we fell. I could not tell how long the free fall lasted as it was such a rush and I was trying to take it all in. It was a surreal feeling falling toward the Earth at 120kmph, the wind was rushing at me so cold and fast that it caused my mouth to dry and my face to contort like an astronaut under G-force. I could see the Earth coming towards us fast, and we dropped through a few clouds that blocked my vision temporarily but before I knew it the parachute was open and I was jerked upwards as the chute caught in the wind. I must admit, I had a profound sense of relief when the parachute opened.

We began our glide back down to ground and I was able to direct our flight by pulling downwards on one of two pulleys to steer left or right. I took us through a few clouds before the tandem jumper (Phil) told me to hold down the right pulley as far as possible – which caused us to head into a massive spin picking up speed and turning almost horizontal.

We hit 1,000 feet and Phil had to take over and make sure we landed safely. He circled the runway a few times and I lifted my feet into the air as we hit the ground nice and softly. The adrenaline was still pumping through my body but I was happy that I had landed in one piece – I could imagine why some people become hooked on skydiving; the rush was incomparable to anything I felt before. I saw Nicola coming towards us on the runway after she had been busy taking photos and videos of my landing – she was very relieved that I made it back in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment