Sunday 14 October 2012

Ferry to Chumphong and Bangkok - TO THE TRANG!

We ended our tour of Thailand with a long day of travelling, starting with a 2 hour catamaran ferry to Chumphong, then a 1 hour drive to Surat Thani where we stayed for approx 3 hours while waiting for our final (yay!) sleeper train back to Bangkok.






By the time we got on the sleeper train (21:30 ish) we were so tired that we pretty much went to sleep straight away (well, after Richard and I had a very long chat about books and writing). We were on a rubbish sleeper train again and as Nicola had slept on top bunk first time down South I went on the top on the way back...and had a terrible night's sleep. The bunk was narrow, and the only thing keeping you in were two suspender like straps that were too loose (in my opinion anyway) which meant I crammed myself against the wall to stop myself falling off (in hindsight I don't think there was actually much danger of falling off!). Also, they did not turn off the lights in the train so I felt like I was being subjected to an interrogation technique (slight exaggeration), it was not very comfortable and I was pretty relieved when the train arrived in Bangkok.

The tour officially ended in Bangkok train station and we said our goodbyes to the tour, and to Sek. We had met some lovely people on our tour and it was sad to say goodbye.

Now that it was just Nicola and I in Bangkok...alone...we had to make our own way to our new hotel. After much haggling with various taxi drivers (note, if you are foreign in Bangkok, taxi drivers will NOT put their meter on for you...ignore what Lonely Planet says about it), we gave up and hopped onto Nicola's now favourite mode of transport...a tuk tuk...TO THE TRANG we shouted, overly enthusiastically!

No comments:

Post a Comment